Thursday, August 2, 2012

Scottish Countryside


Scotland is one of those places where the constant rainfall not only enhances the natural beauty of the rolling landscapes, it actually defines them. While walking through the Scottish countryside the other day, we passed a herd of highland grazing cows, as well as some other great characters. The rain may have prevented me from painting anything on the spot (especially on the iPad), but I had to pay tribute to the wonderful scenes once I returned to our hotel. Below is a look at the process I typically use to construct illustrations in the Procreate iPad app. Enjoy!


I started out with some rough sketches trying to capture the pose of the old man, then tightened them up as I went. 


Once I was happy with the old man's pose, I repositioned him on the canvas and built up the composition around him. I didn't want to clutter it with too much countryside---just enough information to imply the landscape around him.


I painted the old man first and threw a plaid texture on his jacket. I kept the line drawing of him to the side for reference while painting.


Once I was done with the man, I began blocking in the scene around him---referring to the colors on his jacket and umbrella for the color palette. (A leaf-brush is a life saver in these situations---thankfully Procreate allows you to create your own custom brushes.)


A little more blocking in and the scene was complete. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment