Friday, June 8, 2012

Florence Is My Classroom


My "Drawing in Florence" class started up this week, and it's essentially everything I was hoping it would be: the best excuse in the world to get outside and draw Florentine scenes for three hours a day. Seeing as I've been leaning a little too digital as of late, I'm still getting back into the swing of traditional charcoal drawing; but I suppose there's no better place to nail down the fundamentals than along the streets of the Renaissance.

The drawing at top was from our day in Piazza della Santissima Annunziata, which featured some beautiful archways that played well with the morning sun. Our group was one of maybe three separate student groups who were using the piazza as their classroom that morning.


We traveled to the Bardini Gardens for this drawing. The long hike up windy hills paid off in full with some of the most stunning views of the city that I've seen. This was my attempt to capture the beauty of the overlook itself and the skyline it showcases.


While at the Bardini, I also did a sketch of Florence on my iPad with Paper by 53. I thought it might be interesting to compare a classical rendering with a modern one.

No comments:

Post a Comment