Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rome iPad Paintings

The biggest problem for an artist in Italy is that, wherever you turn, there's something incredibly beautiful to paint. These are two color studies I did on my iPad in an attempt to capture some of the breathtaking color palettes of Rome.


While walking through the Trastevere---the more student-populated end of Rome---I happened upon a tucked away sidestreet that seemed to encapsulate everything I had imagined Italy to be before arriving. So I plopped myself down and painted away. You can watch the process unfold below.




My friends and I journeyed into the Colosseum to see what all the fuss was about. While we didn't get to see any gladiators duking it out in the arena---I did find some nice archway ruin formations. The relationship among sun, stone, and sky drew my eye to this particular vantage point, which made for a very pleasant painting experience in a structure that would have been anything but pleasant centuries ago. Again, I've included the video of the process below.



No comments:

Post a Comment